Wednesday 26 June 2013

Not Tesco's finest hour when it turned down insurance renewal

I claimed for storm damage on my Tesco Finest home insurance policy – but 18 months later it refused to quote for a renewal

I have a Tesco Finest home insurance policy. In January 2012 a huge ash tree in a neighbour's garden came down in strong winds, demolishing my shed, a low wall round a patio and stone garden furniture. Tesco eventually settled my claim and in May 2012 it renewed the insurance.

However, this year I was told that I did not meet its underwriting criteria. When I queried this, I was told it was because the claim came to just over £10,000. This seems ludicrous as the whole reason for insurance is to be prepared for the worst.

I have spoken to the Association of British Insurers and it says it is a commercial decision. Citizens Advice also says Tesco is entitled to refuse to quote. My problem is that when I try to get a quote I am asked whether I have ever been refused insurance and I fear that answering yes will affect my eligibility. CC, Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex

Few sectors punish customers as severely as insurance companies do for requesting the service that they have paid for. Usually, they do this by hiking premiums should you make a claim and Tesco's sudden rejection of you, over a year after the payout, seems inexplicable. Tesco, having stymied all your attempts to resolve the situation, is equally baffled when I query its logic and it decides to blame human error. "We have contacted Ms Cooper to apologise, as having reviewed her case we realise that we should have offered her the option to renew her policy," says a spokeswoman. You now rejoice in a new policy; good luck when you next have to claim on it.

If you need help email Anna Tims at your.problems@observer.co.uk or write to Your Problems, The Observer, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU. Include an address and phone number.


guardian.co.uk © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Read more.. Related posts.. Similar posts.. More sites on related content.. Click here for more..

No comments:

Post a Comment